Re: wishes (Re: gac experiment)

Strange. Some of you want more powers to the opers, some don't. But I
think all want to stop those silly channel wars.

So: Why don't we establish a Chanserv? Please think at least a minute
about it before flaming me down.

We could make a Chanserv a replicated service with databases scattered
across many hosts. This way there's no single point of failure and no
single point for attacks.

We could introduce channel registration in two steps:
In step 1 only opers can register well known channels to the "usual"
users on that channels. E.g. the german opers would register #germany to
users who were on that channel for a long time.
In step 2 channel registration is open for all users. Of course we need
to deal with users who try to reserve hundreds of channels but I think
we could find an appropriate procedure.

Of course Chanserv would end the old "channels are not owned" policy on
IRCNet.

But in return we get stable channels, no more channel wars, less work
for opers.

Ok, now feel free to kill me. :-)

   Guenthi