Re: wishes (Re: gac experiment)

Joern Westermann schrieb:

> Strange. Some of you want more powers to the opers, some don't. But I
> think all want to stop those silly channel wars.
>
> So: Why don't we establish a Chanserv? Please think at least a minute
> about it before flaming me down.

I think you must install ChanServ on the Moon , because it will be smurfed
to hell and back.
If someone has this Power to Install ChanServ on a dedicated Line with High
Bandwith , me and
very other Users would be Happy. Why dont make a Vote on a Website for
Channelservice ?
I think it would be very insteresting what Users on IRCnet like and wants.

> We could make a Chanserv a replicated service with databases scattered
> across many hosts. This way there's no single point of failure and no
> single point for attacks.
>
> We could introduce channel registration in two steps:
> In step 1 only opers can register well known channels to the "usual"
> users on that channels. E.g. the german opers would register #germany to
> users who were on that channel for a long time.
> In step 2 channel registration is open for all users. Of course we need
> to deal with users who try to reserve hundreds of channels but I think
> we could find an appropriate procedure.

I am sure that would work , because the most channels i know have fixed
founders or Usual Ops / Masters / Owners.

> Of course Chanserv would end the old "channels are not owned" policy on
> IRCNet.

Well but it has many positive things :
1.) No 20 Bots / Channel  (Traffic will be reduced dramatically)
2.) No Channelwars / Takeovers - Smurfattacks (Traffic reason)
3.) Faster Network because 1 Service Server will handle Channels and Network

4.) Collides / Masscollides would stop
5.) Only Service would be smurfed , Not the Servers :)
6.) Global Temporally K-Line System can be introduced in ChannelService
(Give Spam/Clones no Chance to jump to another Server)
7.) I can sleep better as before.

> But in return we get stable channels, no more channel wars, less work
> for opers.
>
> Ok, now feel free to kill me. :-)

Nah why kill , it is a idea and i am *sure* the most Users and some Opers /
Admins of IRCnet
would welcome the idea !

>    Guenthi

Mfg/Regards