wishes (Re: gac experiment)

On Feb 02, Jochen Kaiser wrote:
| My personal wishlist:
|
| It is based on:
| - more administrative power to the opers.

this isn't about ircd, only ircd administration.

| - less information to the users

so, more power to opers, less to users?

?

| but still tries to limit oper power:
|
| 1. make !-channels the default channel type.
|    Either remove #-Channels complete (I know this is radical) or
|    make them + by default so that user is forced to use the new ones.

this one i still don't understand.
* many tell me that i wasted my time on !channels, and that
  they're a big faillure.  (i wonder about it myself)
* more and more often, people ask that you just did.  i have
  many problems with that:
  + it is very radical and not very sensible
  + why not also disable &channels? :)
  + you can't drop things which are so standard.. (s/can't/shouln't/ ?)
  + i really think that most users will hate it.

the last point is possibly the most important.  there could
be some toggable flag to allow ircnet servers to disable
#channels, afterall it wouldn't be the first time we do this
kind of thing for ircnet.
but i really think that many users (will) prefer #channels over
!channels simply for the very reason that you can take them
over.  this kind of thing is very easy to find out with some
sensible experiments/polls.

| 2. No connections after Operator kill from this host for 15 minutes.
|    This would be a good means against spammers and kiddies.

at the u@h level or @h level?
the first won't work well, and the latter is called DoS.
(besides, when one sees the kind of kills many opers do, one
ponders on how reasonnable this is)
[i'm also ignoring the technical problems if you intend to
have all servers react on all kills.]

| 3. No OP on rejoin (as the efnet(?)patch provides)
|
| 4. wipe channel command (regards to viha): if a number of
|    IRC-Admins (say 3 for example) (global O required) agrees,
|    a channel with channelmodes: +ims[k]? maybe spied and
|    wiped out so that it may be founded new. It's against TO-kids.
|    This could be done by a service
|    (there must also be alsa a &wipe - channel on which
|     other people with +o set may stay to get these messages)

all powerful opers again.
and the misconception that opers have anything more to do
than keep servers connected.
(i could conceive this kind of service if opers were
different than what they are now, and/or if it was a job.
remember, they're all volunteers, and rarely impartial.)

| 5. As an alternative or add-on to my 4th point: the 3 mentioned
|    IRC-Admin may also be able to set +i +b *!*@* -e for opless
|    channels (I think of big - ones like #flirt.de) (only if
|    +r is not set). The sense of this is clear. Often, big opless
|    channels are a place of chaos and flooding occurs. So this
|    is an idea to slowly decrease the number of chatters so that
|    it may be formed newly ...

same comment.
i think it's foolish to think that opers can make good
judgements.  it'll also give yet more reasons for kids to
target servers/opers.

| 6. if +o is set, you may ignore +m.
|    useful for #opers e.g.

try to live as a user once in a while.
what makes you think that you're so different with your
shining star?

| 7. to read &-channels, you need +o set.
|    all the kiddies waiting there for squit messages

and?

| 8. spyservice: may ignore usermode +i for people registered
|    there. queries are posted to a & - channel to protocol
|    misuse.

sure, i mean.. privacy is already so bad, why not make it
worse?

| My personal dislikes:
|
| 1. I don't want me to evade +b +i +s +p. Reason for this is simple:
|   a) I don't want to know anything. Users also need their privacy
|   b) I don't want to know what's going on in these *porn* *warez*
|      *shellz* chans, because if I'd know, someone could expect me
|      to be responsible for it. (depends on local law...)

if you understand these very good points, why do you still
wish for these things?  (this is an honest question.)

| 2. I don't want any @-superpower. This is outbalancing the
|    oper-user relationship and is stealing the character of ircnet.

@ or * ?
it my strong feeling that all should be as equal as possible.
of course, within a channel, there needs to be some evil
chanop stuff.  but it should be limited to a minimum.  i
think we all know/agree how bad the current scheme is.

| What can I do?

help.

| I am very keen on improving *.DE infrastructure. There I have a little
| influence in DFN-Verein, the provider of the german universities.
| We (mr-spock) and me try to enligthen our noc for some protection
| against smurf attacks in our boarder routers/peering points.
|
| I also plan to push ipv6. I know a bunch of people which maybe
| helpful for infrastructure ...
|
| coding and programming I will probably not because of final exams
| in a few weeks and master-thesis after that. but maybe I will change
| my mind...

you should give it a try.
ircd will not progress by itself.
but are you even on ircd-users or ircd-dev?