Re: gac experiment

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:11:07AM +0100, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> would you be so kind and give me this numbers to prove you might
> be right (which I don't believe really). I bet you tested it a lot
> before using that patch?

we just tested functionality. don't tell me it's not clean
this way - I know it by myself ...

> > and additionally: so what: this is ircnet we are speaking of.
> > bandwith will be no problem in the future ...
>
> there will always be problems with bandwidth.
> IRCNet or not IRCNet. Think about international traffic.

i am not willing to suffer in a lack of features because of
bandwidth. bandwidth is only a matter of price. I see no need
in beeing backwards compatible with low bandwidth.

> Also make suggestions to 2.11 (if you have such or just care about
> your local users again).

My personal wishlist:

It is based on:
- more administrative power to the opers.
- less information to the users
- use modern design channels.

but still tries to limit oper power:

1. make !-channels the default channel type.
   Either remove #-Channels complete (I know this is radical) or
   make them + by default so that user is forced to use the new ones.

2. No connections after Operator kill from this host for 15 minutes.
   This would be a good means against spammers and kiddies.

3. No OP on rejoin (as the efnet(?)patch provides)

4. wipe channel command (regards to viha): if a number of
   IRC-Admins (say 3 for example) (global O required) agrees,
   a channel with channelmodes: +ims[k]? maybe spied and
   wiped out so that it may be founded new. It's against TO-kids.
   This could be done by a service
   (there must also be alsa a &wipe - channel on which
    other people with +o set may stay to get these messages)

5. As an alternative or add-on to my 4th point: the 3 mentioned
   IRC-Admin may also be able to set +i +b *!*@* -e for opless
   channels (I think of big - ones like #flirt.de) (only if
   +r is not set). The sense of this is clear. Often, big opless
   channels are a place of chaos and flooding occurs. So this
   is an idea to slowly decrease the number of chatters so that
   it may be formed newly ...

6. if +o is set, you may ignore +m.
   useful for #opers e.g.

7. to read &-channels, you need +o set.
   all the kiddies waiting there for squit messages

8. spyservice: may ignore usermode +i for people registered
   there. queries are posted to a & - channel to protocol
   misuse.

[not complete]

My personal dislikes:

1. I don't want me to evade +b +i +s +p. Reason for this is simple:
  a) I don't want to know anything. Users also need their privacy
  b) I don't want to know what's going on in these *porn* *warez*
     *shellz* chans, because if I'd know, someone could expect me
     to be responsible for it. (depends on local law...)

2. I don't want any @-superpower. This is outbalancing the
   oper-user relationship and is stealing the character of ircnet.

[so it's late ... going to bed]

What can I do?

I am very keen on improving *.DE infrastructure. There I have a little
influence in DFN-Verein, the provider of the german universities.
We (mr-spock) and me try to enligthen our noc for some protection
against smurf attacks in our boarder routers/peering points.

I also plan to push ipv6. I know a bunch of people which maybe
helpful for infrastructure ...

coding and programming I will probably not because of final exams
in a few weeks and master-thesis after that. but maybe I will change
my mind...

nite
jochen

--
Jochen Kaiser          		                   phone +49 9131 85-28134
Network Administration           mailto:jochen.kaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx