Re: hubs and load

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:40:54AM +0200, Hanno Foest wrote:

> Does Linux still give ircd problems? I know that using Linux for a
> heavily loaded irc server was deprecated for a long time because
> its IP stack wasn't very mature, but I thought that these issues
> (broken poll() etc.) had been solved since about two years now.

I think it should work.  There are people who're using it.  The
problems really were not with the kernel, but with the libc.

After some emails, that is what I come up with how to tune Linux:

adjust /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/max_size

It's size of the routing table.  You can't have more than this
number of different clients connected at the same time.

adjust /proc/sys/fs/file-max

This is the max number of open files you can have.  Don't forget
to set the proper limit with ulimit.

In 2.4 they already default to 8192, in 2.2 they were lower.

Using 2.2, you might need a patch.  poll() might not be able to
alloc memory because of the way it allocs.  In 2.4 they seem to
have changed the algorithme a little.

Kurt