Re: hubs and load

Hi

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:03:15AM -0500, John Saylor wrote:
> > I'm thinking about setting up a hub/leaf configuration with several
> > ircds and having a little trouble getting my brain around the best way
> > to proceed.

( 01.03.28 19:37 +0200 ) Kurt Roeckx:
> Maybe you should more about the amount of users, and how they are
> spread.  We can give much better advice if we know what you are
> trying to do.

At the start, we will have about 250 clients. In the future, I may need
to handle around 5,000+ clients.

> A single server can easely support a few thousand clients.

Maybe I'm misreading, or just dense, but in config.h MAXCONNECTIONS is
50. I bumped it up to 500, but it seemed like a dangerous move to me.
Since it's not a production system [yet], if it falls from load it's no
big deal; but I'd like to avoid it. Your comment leads me to believe
MAXCONNECTIONS could be 5000.

> It really depends on your hardware and OS.

686 CPU, 256 MB RAM, Linux 2.4.1
I think the boxes will have at least 2 network interfaces, one for
clients and a second one for the servers to talk to each other on [on
their own ethernet].

And while I have some of your attention, if load requires, I'm thinking
of running multiple ircds on one machine [connected via UNIX sockets],
one being a hub and the others being leafs. I have heard this is common.
Is it needed for the load I'm anticipating?

At what point should another server be added- 500 clients, 1000, 2000,
...?

As always, thanks.

--
\js

The opera ain't over til the fat lady sings -- George Bush, 1980