Re: hubs and load

On Wednesday, Mar 28 2001 at 23:12:36 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> > > It really depends on your hardware and OS.
> >
> > 686 CPU, 256 MB RAM, Linux 2.4.1
>
> The problem is going to be the OS.  Most big client servers run
> something else then Linux.

Does Linux still give ircd problems? I know that using Linux for a
heavily loaded irc server was deprecated for a long time because
its IP stack wasn't very mature, but I thought that these issues
(broken poll() etc.) had been solved since about two years now.

Although I'm only running a fairly small server (~100 users) in a
small network myself, I'm interested what the recommended OS would
be to have ircd running smoothly even under extreme loads. And what
are the remaining issues with Linux?

Just curious, really.

Hanno