hubs and load

Hi

I'm thinking about setting up a hub/leaf configuration with several
ircds and having a little trouble getting my brain around the best way
to proceed.

My guess is that a hub configuration proveds better infrastructure for
high volume by shortening the distance between servers.

My concept is that the hub servers are the front end, they have the ips
that users connect to. Each hub then passes off the connections to the
leafs [first filling one, then the next; although a round robin would be
better].  So hubs have connections to other hubs and leafs and users
connect to leafs after a redirect from the hubs.

Am I understaning this correctly?
Does anyone have any numbers regarding configuration of hubs/leafs and
client load?

If this is explained somewhere else, feel free to point me there.

As always, mucho gracias.

--
\js

If a centipede loses a leg, it does not prevent him from walking.
 If a centipede loses a hundred legs, it does not prevent him from squirming.
						 -- Proverb from "Life in Hell"