Re: hubs and load

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:03:15AM -0500, John Saylor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking about setting up a hub/leaf configuration with several
> ircds and having a little trouble getting my brain around the best way
> to proceed.

Maybe you should more about the amount of users, and how they are
spread.  We can give much better advice if we know what you are
trying to do.

A single server can easely support a few thousand clients.

You can use special servers who's only function is to hub, they
have little or no clients, only servers.  They would route the
message from one server to the other.  You want to group servers
based on the netwerk.

> My concept is that the hub servers are the front end, they have the ips
> that users connect to. Each hub then passes off the connections to the
> leafs [first filling one, then the next; although a round robin would be
> better].  So hubs have connections to other hubs and leafs and users
> connect to leafs after a redirect from the hubs.

The clients aren't supposed to connect to the hub.  There is no
way for the server to pass the connection to an other.  You can
setup an round robin for the client servers.

> Does anyone have any numbers regarding configuration of hubs/leafs and
> client load?

What kind of numbers are you intrested in?  How many clients a
server can support, how many servers it can link?

It really depends on your hardware and OS.

Kurt