Re: wishes (Re: gac experiment)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Jochen Kaiser wrote:

> You just think about your moral integrity and are to involved in
> former ideas of irc: opers and users should be equal, and opers
> should only be operating servers. this did work for some time.
> But we are in the days of TFN and kids who have control over
> vast flood potential.

And you really think a gac patched server whould help it?
Or connecting a script as server to collide them? No, you played
with them, and thats all they want. News pages about "war crews"
get only setup and show your nick because you acted - in the wrong way.

> But things have changed. Often when I leave IRC I am frustrated.

bored?

> It's not any more to provide a service to the people. It's about
> listening to frustrated users, watching server statistics if
> we are under DOS-attack ... the chats between opers are about
> DOS and kids.

would you like more social chat between the opers? :)

> > this one i still don't understand.
> > * many tell me that i wasted my time on !channels, and that
> >   they're a big faillure.  (i wonder about it myself)
>
> it's simple: kids don't like the !-symbol (it's true ...)

yeah, lets exchange the prefix from # to ! and from ! to #,
I'm sure they'll like it more. Do you like to tell me its
only about a simple character? NO, its only about that they
are used to #channels, and they should keep using them if
they want. Like I said in a previous mail, most users don't
have problems with a takeover. Sure its annoying. It always was,
but moving to #channel2 helped always more than attacking the
abusers which even causes more abuse by them.

> >   + you can't drop things which are so standard.. (s/can't/shouln't/ ?)
> you can. just make #-channels modeless by default. users will
> happily migrate to !-channels.

bleh, why break it?

> > [i'm also ignoring the technical problems if you intend to
> > have all servers react on all kills.]
>
> then we need faster links and servers. if we want to provide a
> quality product, we need quality ressources.

actually I know people who did set up whole backbones for better
connectivity for IRC. It could be more worse...

> > @ or * ?
> > it my strong feeling that all should be as equal as possible.
>
> nice thought. failed in all day irc-life. kids nowadays
> are even stronger then a bunch of opers.
> So don't talk about equality. They are playing with us, even if
> we are nice and have moral integrity - and -
> they just begun.

wake up! why they play with you? it always takes two to play.
It's a diffrent thing fighting abusers and hunting abusers.
If you fight them, they just fight back, if you hunt them down,
they probably loose the fun. But right now you play there game
very nice - for them.

Engerim