Re: New type of abuse

-----Original Message-----
From: forcer <forcer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ircd-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <ircd-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, 14 April 1998 10:48
Subject: Re: New type of abuse

>On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 09:34:05AM -0400, Christophe Kalt wrote:
>>Is this happenning from servers that split for longer than
>>15 minutes?
>>is the delay too short for IRCnet?
>>
>No. I've seen that after much shorter splits (2-5 minutes). Though 15
minutes
>_is_ too short for IRCnet, the not-as-fast servers, e.g. .ru/.ee, sometimes
>split longer than that.

After shor splits it can happen, only if there are problems with the
international link, and connect burst takes too long time. It could be in
split for 5 minutes, then receive info about 5.000 users within next 10
minutes during connect burst, and here we go - ND for 20.000 nicks is
unlocked. But I believe that happens quite rarely nowadays (unlike 1.5 year
ago, when we had no compression and most of east-european links were slow).

Concerning 15 minutes delay - there is nothing that prevents admins of
"not-as-fast servers" to encrease the value in config.h. Anyway I believe
*.ee link is fast enough. It's ground cable to Helsinki. And I have seen
funet, funet, nl.net expierencing problems on their links and spliting for
longer than 15 minutes as well.
If the link is fine - 15 minutes delay is enough. But if the link has
problems, they may last for a few hours, and even 30 minutes delay won't
help then.

LuckySt@IRCNet (irc.lvnet.lv, irc.estpak.ee)