Re: ircd+enge5 patch released

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 12:54:54AM +0200, Helmut Springer wrote:
> On Fri 2001-06-01 (21:26), Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> > I released a new version of the engerim patch which consists of the
> > following features:
>
> How are this 'features' encoded in the /version string of a server?

It shows as irc2.10.3p1+enge5 in the version string (as engerim4 already
does. Several sub features are shown in stats D).

> Not showing them will destroy any trust of your uplinks.

Or one of your downlinks in reverse if they don't allow you such harmless
patches. All except one of the enge5 features only affect the local server.
The one which affects global is the new host scrambling thing and this
one helps the users from getting abused.

I suggest you make your downlinks sending them their full compiled tree
and compare the results of /info <server>. Even if your downlinks claim
they didn't install any patches they could do so. Even if stats d
is showing a DCTL of 1800 for example they might just printf that value.
A full covering way would be by requesting yourself access to their ircd
(no offence here). Its all a matter of trust with your links.

Best Regards,

Thomas (enge@IRC)