Re: Resolver problems

On Aug 01, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
| On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:20:27PM +0200, Hanno Foest wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I'm using ircd 2.10.3p1 in a small special interest IRC network and
| > tried to change the default nameserver from the local caching named
| > to a remote one (for security reasons). I simply deleted the
| > 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' entry in the /etc/resolv.conf and killed the
| > local named, expecting the other nameserver entries in the resolv.conf
| > to take over. But that didn't happen. Users keep having hostmasks
| > showing their IPs rather than their hosts, although the reverse lookups
| > work just fine with the command line tools. After starting the named
| > again, it works fine again, even though the 127.0.0.1 entry is still
| > missing from the resolv.conf.
|
| Ircd has it's own resolver. It reads /etc/resolv.conf on startup, and
| query's the ns it finds there. Afaik, there is no option to reread it,
| altho other people claim it happens on /rehash, but I strongly doubt that.

up to MAXNS (always 3?) nameservers will be recorded from
resolv.conf, and each query will be sent to all of them.

at least there is code for this.. there seems to be an option
which will cause only 1 ns to be used, but i don't see it
being set anywhere.  it might still be which would explain
the behaviour above.

there is no way to re-read resolv.conf