Re: Resolver problems

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:20:27PM +0200, Hanno Foest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using ircd 2.10.3p1 in a small special interest IRC network and
> tried to change the default nameserver from the local caching named
> to a remote one (for security reasons). I simply deleted the
> 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' entry in the /etc/resolv.conf and killed the
> local named, expecting the other nameserver entries in the resolv.conf
> to take over. But that didn't happen. Users keep having hostmasks
> showing their IPs rather than their hosts, although the reverse lookups
> work just fine with the command line tools. After starting the named
> again, it works fine again, even though the 127.0.0.1 entry is still
> missing from the resolv.conf.

Ircd has it's own resolver. It reads /etc/resolv.conf on startup, and
query's the ns it finds there. Afaik, there is no option to reread it,
altho other people claim it happens on /rehash, but I strongly doubt that.

> Is this the intended behaviour? Even if the resolv.conf is just being
> read at startup time, I'd have thought that the other nameserver entries
> would have worked after the first one failed. - I guess I could just
> restart the ircd, but with 50+ users on my server I'd prefer not to.
> /rehash didn't work either... any ideas? (I'm running Linux, in case
> that matters)

I think it only uses the first entry it finds in /etc/resolv.conf, and
only reads it at startup. I think the only option you have is to restart.

The resolver code really should be fixed for things like that.

Kurt