Resolver problems

Hi,

I'm using ircd 2.10.3p1 in a small special interest IRC network and
tried to change the default nameserver from the local caching named
to a remote one (for security reasons). I simply deleted the
'nameserver 127.0.0.1' entry in the /etc/resolv.conf and killed the
local named, expecting the other nameserver entries in the resolv.conf
to take over. But that didn't happen. Users keep having hostmasks
showing their IPs rather than their hosts, although the reverse lookups
work just fine with the command line tools. After starting the named
again, it works fine again, even though the 127.0.0.1 entry is still
missing from the resolv.conf.

Is this the intended behaviour? Even if the resolv.conf is just being
read at startup time, I'd have thought that the other nameserver entries
would have worked after the first one failed. - I guess I could just
restart the ircd, but with 50+ users on my server I'd prefer not to.
/rehash didn't work either... any ideas? (I'm running Linux, in case
that matters)

Hanno