Re: Joins during CD (@-free)

On Jan 03, Ville wrote:
| On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Christophe Kalt wrote:
|
| > On Jan 03, Ville wrote:
|
| > i don't think flood joins are much of a real issue.
|
| True, mostly annoying.

and letting banned people in won't be?

| > tried !channels? :)
|
| Yes, but I'd love to give fixing #channels a last shot.

they can't be fixed, they're broken by design.

[..]
| Thus, if people want to keep their channels private, it's easy. Put
| on +s (or which flag should it be? +i? +k?) and CD will activate
| normally. This will actually favour normal chat channels.

you're basically proposing that we make CD significantly more
complicated than it is now.
you're also proposing that it will behave erraticly for
channels which are desynch'd.
you're also not troubled by the inconsistency in CD's
behaviour between bans and +i/..
it makes getting ops back more difficult, and mostly possible
through riding splits (which isn't something that should be
encouraged)

| Phew. Ask around. Users like it. But if anybody remembers any other
| pitfalls or such, do _tell_ and maybe we can think a way around them,
| too.

i have no doubt that the vast majority of users will get
confused if we don't keep things simple,
i also believe they will be annoyed at banned people being
able to join.

i'd rather see energy spent on making !channels better
integrated in clients.