Re: Joins during CD (@-free)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> On Jan 03, Ville wrote:

> i don't think flood joins are much of a real issue.

True, mostly annoying.

> tried !channels? :)

Yes, but I'd love to give fixing #channels a last shot.

<clip>
> the answer, i don't remember.
> but i'm confident that i'm right when i say it can't be done
> right.
> (because i'm pretty sure that is what was attempted in early
> versions)

Well, I think I have come with solutions most of the pitfalls
I could remember from the past:

Basics:
	* A network with three servers (A<->B<->X)
	* X splits away from A<->B

Scenario 1:
	* There were oped users on servers A |& B. Nobody from
	  server X was on #channel.

	* When LUSER @ X attempts to join #channel, he does not
	  get ops on join, but he can join it normally right
	  after split. It's just simply empty. He'd have to keep
	  on /join & /parting for the next ~30 minutes or what
	  (and ensure nobody begins to idle or chat on the channel)
	  before he has a chance of being oped. This already disables
	  most war-scripts & bots (or at least makes using them
	  painful).

	  _Unless_ the channel was set +i/k/whatever, then the server
	  will give the normal "Channel is temporarily unavailable."
	  (until the random ~30 minutes delay is over).

	  If the user was banned (the server will have forgotten  that
	  considering the channel was empty), he -will- be able to
	  evade it. I consider it a minor problem... Maybe delay the
	  activation of this feature until first a/c has failed (and
	  until then give CD-notice on all of the channels?)

	  It _may_ sound like a kludge, but the users don't care because
	  it works better for them.

Scenario 2:
	* There were users on A & B. X splits.
	* Right after the split, the first person to join #channel on
	  X will get ops. (simplified scenario, I think the current way
	  how CD works may already be similar).

	  This will make sure people can get their ops back if they
	  really were lost..

Scenario 3:
	* There are ops on all - A, B & X. X splits.
	* The op on server X is DoS'ed, leaving the chan empty.
	* It won't matter because during the CD-time it will not give
	  ops back when people try joining the channel.

Thus, if people want to keep their channels private, it's easy. Put
on +s (or which flag should it be? +i? +k?) and CD will activate
normally. This will actually favour normal chat channels.

Phew. Ask around. Users like it. But if anybody remembers any other
pitfalls or such, do _tell_ and maybe we can think a way around them,
too.

--
Ville/viha@xxxxxxxxxx