Re: Anti-collide patch

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:

> -> > I know. This way a channel cannot be taken over, but it'll be a totally
> -> > useless channel. But I could also think about a script to defend against
> -> > this approach: It notices a collide and after the channel rejoin it
> -> > kicks out all non-channel ops and sets the channel +i. So it's
> -> > impossible for the attacker to find out the new nick after the next
> -> > collide.
>
> -> this wouldnt be any use because the attacker sits on lagged server, which
> -> doesnt get the kick.
>
> nope; colliders usually use 2 clients one on directly this server which
> watches for your nickchanges and another one on lagged server (one-way lag)
> which changes nicknames.
> --
yeah but suppose the watcher sits on a lagged server A and the kick is
issued at server B somewhere on the net, and after that, the watcher
changes nickname, so server A will reply 'No such nick/channel' or
something in this fashion when the lag goes off. he still receives all
nick changes, even channel messages, but people on the net arent able to
see him (because from their perspective, he was kicked off). (this really
happened to me once :) )

pht