Re: Limit the # of channels?

  Kreg> This may sound odd but we are running an ircd for internal-use
  Kreg> only and I have been told to investigate the possibility of
  Kreg> limiting it to only one channel.  What (if anything)
  Kreg> would/could I do to the source code to achieve this?

  Christophe> I suppose you'd also have a specific channel name for
  Christophe> this unique channel, in which case I'd say the easiest
  Christophe> way is to modify m_join() (in ircd/channel.c)

  Christophe> One solution would be to add a check to reject other
  Christophe> names in the first for() loop.  (You might want to still
  Christophe> allow joining of servers channels such as &ERRORS
  Christophe> &NOTICES..)

I've often had requests like this from people who wish to run
internal-only IRC servers. My initial idea was to modify the semantics
of JOIN so that a new channel is only created if the client is
opered. The only inconvenience would be having an opered client
"initialise" the channels with each restart.

I think it would make the ircd a lot more attractive for single-server
corporate (or otherwise) use.

 - Andrew in-idle-thought-mode Snare
--
#!/usr/bin/env python