Re: european servers.. (fwd)

On Oct 29, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
| Before (this might have changed the past year or so) the L-lines seemed to
| take effect at a very late state, when the whole connect burst was
| completed. Is this still so?

The way it is, the servers send the burst no matter
what. (well, as long as you have valid password and CNs ;-)

servers are sent first as you probably know,

so on the L line server side, the burst is stopped before
any damage is done (as soon as a server matching the L line
is found, the link is dropped).

on the other side, the burst is processed as quick as
possible (that's what we all want, right? ;-) and since
there's no error, users are broadcasted, collisions happens
or not.. until the link is broken by the other side.

I don't think the behaviour has changed in a long time.

| > this sounds like some kind of "reverse" L line.
|
| Yes, but it is nice since ot puts me in control of which servers I want to
| connect to when other servers are online. L-lines have to be changed by
| the party at the other end, meaning that if I have 4 different uplinks I
| have to get all of them to implement the same L-lines if I get a 5th
| uplink.

yeah, which shouldn't be a problem in theory, but is in
practice given the lack of and lag in cooperation which
characterizes all big nets.

| > also, the probability of you connecting to the new born
| > server before it connects to its normal uplinks is rather
| > close to null, isn't it?
|
| Same thing happens when one of my uplinks split from the rest of the net
| and my server tries to catch it. I think this situation happens often
| enough to warrant some attention.

good point, new born servers are probably not an issue, but
freshly split server are likely to be.