Re: european servers.. (fwd)

On Oct 29, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
| I have my US uplinks in one class. I have irc.ced.chalmers.se in one class
| and I have all my downlinks in one class. Now, if irc.ced.chalmers.se is
| connected to me, and one of my US uplinks is down (cerf was the other day)
| my server keeps trying to connect to it. When it eventually comes up, it
| might be so unfortunate that it cannot connect to its uplinks before I
| connect to it. This is undesirable.
|
| Is there a way to keep the functionality (I always want to connect to
| irc.ced.chalmers.se if possible, and I want to connect to the US if none
| of my uplinks is connected to the *NET*, not only if they are not
| connected to me). with the current options, or do we need new server
| configlines to reach this?

can't this be done by having your US uplinks setup a L line
for you? something like "L:*.us::<your server name>:"
(syntax might be wrong)
I agree it's probably not the best, since the connection
will be made then broken, but doesn't it work?
isn't it enough?

| It would be nice with a config that allows me to set that "activate
| autoconnects in this connection class if all the following servers are not
| currently listed in the online server list". Wildcards would be nice when
| specifying this.
|
| For instance, I would put a limitation on my uplinks if there was a
| com/net/org server online at the moment (since we have none of these in
| Europe right now).

this sounds like some kind of "reverse" L line.

also, the probability of you connecting to the new born
server before it connects to its normal uplinks is rather
close to null, isn't it?