Re: european servers.. (fwd)

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> On Oct 29, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> | Before (this might have changed the past year or so) the L-lines seemed to
> | take effect at a very late state, when the whole connect burst was
> | completed. Is this still so?
>
> The way it is, the servers send the burst no matter
> what. (well, as long as you have valid password and CNs ;-)
>
> servers are sent first as you probably know,
>
> so on the L line server side, the burst is stopped before
> any damage is done (as soon as a server matching the L line
> is found, the link is dropped).

I disagree =)  I think certain damage is already done by sending
some "SERVER x"'s back into the network before the server is disconnected
for a SERVER that matches an L: line.

What we'll be doing on EFNet is TSing the SERVER messages, I believe,
although, maybe we should just "hold on to" SERVER messages until
we get a non-SERVER message =) ...and then at that time, send them in
1 big lump to the other servers connected to you.  Hmm...I suppose it
is possible for there to not be a message after 'SERVER' though, if
there are no clients connected to the server you link in.
If this idea actually worked, though, you could probably call it
Server-Delay...thus, it would fit in perfectly with IRCNet ;)

- Chris