Re: european servers.. (fwd)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> can't this be done by having your US uplinks setup a L line
> for you? something like "L:*.us::<your server name>:"
> (syntax might be wrong)
> I agree it's probably not the best, since the connection
> will be made then broken, but doesn't it work?
> isn't it enough?

Before (this might have changed the past year or so) the L-lines seemed to
take effect at a very late state, when the whole connect burst was
completed. Is this still so?

> this sounds like some kind of "reverse" L line.

Yes, but it is nice since ot puts me in control of which servers I want to
connect to when other servers are online. L-lines have to be changed by
the party at the other end, meaning that if I have 4 different uplinks I
have to get all of them to implement the same L-lines if I get a 5th
uplink.

> also, the probability of you connecting to the new born
> server before it connects to its normal uplinks is rather
> close to null, isn't it?

Same thing happens when one of my uplinks split from the rest of the net
and my server tries to catch it. I think this situation happens often
enough to warrant some attention.

-----
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx