Re: Invisible users

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Juan Francisco Rodriguez Hervella wrote:

[...]
> Besides, public conversation (I mean, talking which takes place
> inside a public channel) can be read by anyone, the key-point is
> that I don't want to be seen, but it's clear that if you don't want
> that anyone can read your messages, you always should use "private messages".
[...]

I think the use of the term "public channel" is a bit vague here. For
example, is a channel that has the channel modes +p (private) or +s
(secret) a "public channel"?
If the channel has the +i (invite only) or +k (key) flag set, would it
then be a "public channel"? And remember that these can change over time
as well.

If I use a channel, I may act differently depending on the channel modes
and on the people on the channel itself. And I fail to see that there are
any real difference between talking on a channel that is, for example, set
to +si and sending private messages.

Of course, if I would like to be certain that noone can intercept my
messages I shouldn't use IRC at all, but there is always a convenience
level as well - when you ask yourself "is it private enough".

Sincerely,
  /Magnus Tjernström  (Core@IRC - Admin for irc.ludd.luth.se)