/nick behavior

Hello!

I tried to switch my network to irc2.10.3p1 last night, and it all worked
out well except for one thing. I got remote /KILL's working, which we
often use for ghosts and things like that, since our network isn't big
enough to have any kind of abuse. What I found odd is that when I kill a
certain nickname, I cannot use that nickname when I do a /NICK. It says
"Channel/nick temporarily unavailable", which it also says after I try to
do rejoin a channel to gain ops. Is there any way to patch this up? I
would really like to use the IRCNET ircd because it doesn't have anything
annoying like the other ones, and I like the ZLIB compressed links (beats
sending out plaintext overseas).

Thanks in advance!

Claudio Leite