Re: question

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 02:18:57AM +0800, Tim wrote:
> hi
> Several days ago, I download ircd-2.10.3-i386.rpm from Red-Hat web site and set it up. Everything is fine. But , how can I get the source code ? where to download ? Because I met 3 problem:

ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/server/

> (1) I can't use my nickname exceeding 9 words.

It's always been like that. You could change it by changing the #define
NICKLEN in common/struct_def.h to whatever value you want.

Note that you have to change that for all servers that are linked, or you
will have problems.

> (2) And , if my nickname is named like 12345 (leaded by number),
>  ircd will not accept .

We plan to use nicks that start with a digit for special purposes, so I
don't recommend changing the source to allow it. It now allows the a nick
with starting with a digit from an other server.

You can change it in do_nick_name() in ircd/s_user.c

remove this part:

        if (isdigit(*nick) && !server) /* first character in [0..9] */
                return 0;

> (3) I come from Taiwan ,ROC . So I want my nickname can be showed
> iny Chinese in chatroom .

I have no idea what you mean with "showed in Chinese".

My guess is that you want to allow all chars in a nickname, so it can be
encoded in some other language (that needs 2 "char"'s, to encode 1
character). This will be as good as impossible to do.
To start with some chars are used to say it's a channel. Others are used
as seperator. You can atleast forget about chars like, ',', ' ', '\r',
'\n' and '\0'. Others like '#', '&', '+', and '!' won't work as first
char. I don't know anything about encoding of other languages, but it
might work. I think most of them use '\e' to say it's encoded, and will
probably avoid using things like ' ', '\r', \n' and '\0' for compatiblity.
So the real problem might be the ','. Hope for you it's not used either
then.

For this you want to change the isvalid macro in common/struct_def.h

Kurt