Re: Service help

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 05:51:38PM +0200, seant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, I'm new to the list and couldn't find an archive to see if my
> question was answered.  Does such an archive exist?

There is no archive, and nothing related ever came up afaik.

> I wish to provide a feature for my IRC network which I am thinking
> should be implemented partly as a service.  This feature would allow
> users to request a history, last 100 messages or so, of the
> conversations in a channel.
[...]
> The solution I am thinking of is to provide a service/bot combination.
> The service would monitor the creation of channels then send a bot to
> sit in each channel which would handle the message storage and
> retrieval.  Each time my java applet loads, it will ask for the history
> from the bot in the channel it joins.
>
> Does this sound viable?

I was first thinking that you wanted to service to provide the messages,
which wouldn't really work good.

A service which monitors all channels shouldn't be hard to make. A bot
providing logs neither.

> Has it been done before?

Doubt it.

> I am currently playing with telnetting into a local ircd (2.10.3) and
> simulating the service part of the solution.  However, I believe that I
> have a misconifgured ircd.conf.  A client dialog:
>
> [seant@ember /tmp]$ telnet localhost 6667
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> pass ember
> service SC * * 0 0 Foo
[...]
> S:*:ember:SC:0xffffff:13

You have the wrong type here.

in ircd.conf you have 0xffffff as type, while you send a 0

Kurt