Re: gac experiment

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Christophe Kalt wrote:
> On Feb 02, Diane Bruce wrote:
> |   TimeStamp and Nick Delay/Channel Delay have both been dismal failures.
>
> i don't know about TS, but the Delay stuff hasn't been a
> failure, as long as one remembers the goal.
> They've both dramatically improved things, buying us time to
> do better.  This is pretty good, especially considering how
> simple they were to put in place.
>
> i don't think they were ever presented as an ultimate solution.
>
> !channels on the other hand might be a failure; or may be
> they simply prove that users don't want takeover free
> channels.

The #channel design is broken. Well nobody's fault.
Its nearly 10 years old. To fix the #channel you can only have
a chanserv or another registration or "bot" service.

> unlike many, i don't claim to know what users want, and i'm
> still trying to figure that one out.

The !channel is good. Once uid is in, no more collides with disconnects
can happen cause of collides, which is a big improvement.
If all people get to upgrade their old clients they will get rid
of takeovers. If they still stay on #channels its their problem!
Just because the name starts with ! or the people are to lazy to
join it (like most are happy with #channel, even if takeovered).

The !channel is not complicated. mIRC which most kids use supports
it easy.

Please make sure to add !channel information to your MOTD file
if you really want users to use it (in uppercase).
You can redirect them to this nice page:
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/ircd/ircnet210.html

It was made by me based on Christophe's information
and reedited by jolo.

Engerim