changing channels (Re: no split modes patch)

[moving to ircd-users]

On Jan 07, Joern Westermann wrote:
| Maybe it's time for another question:
|
| Why don't we get rid of #-channels in 2.11 totally?

(i think you mean #+)
my answer is: why should we? :) (see below)

|                                                     Just change the
| behaviour of those channel types to that of !-channels! Of course this
| means that we need to switch the whole network to 2.11 at once but I
| don't think that would be much of a problem.

i think history has proven time and time again, that such
requirement is a problem.

| Users don't accept !-channels because the major channels are of the
| older type. I don't see a reason why we still should mess with channel
| collides in 2.11. It's time for a change... :-)

the other half of the problems with !channels is that they
have long been ill-supported by clients.

but anyway, i think that +channels have a (very limited) use.
these could probably be removed, but why bother?
[BTW, it's easy to create opless channels with !ones :)]

#channels are okay as well.  many channels don't need to be
collide proof, many people don't care.

for those who do, they should move.  yes, it's hard to move
big long time channels.  And may be this is where
admins/opers could help.  They should encourage it, and work
towards it.
it only takes the cooperation of a few people on these
channel to achieve this.  a bot can easily be left behind to
point people to the right channel.

and it would only take a few of these moves to create a
greater awareness among users.