Re: "Virtual host" support?

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 08:23:22PM +0800, Alex N. Ibrado wrote:
>Is there something analogous to httpd's virtual hosts
>in ircd? I have a site design/hosting company and some
>of our clients would like to have an irc server local
>to their site. Instead of having to run a separate
>ircd on either a) a different IP address or b) on a
>non-standard (6667+) port, it would be nice if
>somehow, for each "virtual irc server", a single
>instance of ircd would

>1. take a look at the server parameter in USER
>2. show the appropriate MOTD
>3. list only the channels created in the virtual
>server

just FYI, you'd have to bind() to every single interface and check which
interface the client connected to, since 1) would _not_ work.
Just an example, the sirc client sends server and host arg for USER as
"blah", and according to RFC1459:
>   Note that hostname and servername are normally ignored by the IRC
>   server when the USER command comes from a directly connected client
>   (for security reasons), but they are used in server to server
>   communication.
So there.
And this all would involve alot of hacking, with minimal to no gain in memory
need and CPU cycles, and probably negative gains for performance, if the
different server instance are totally unrelated.
Just my humble opinion,
	-forcer

--
/* Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux                                    */
/* email: forcer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -><- www: http://www.forcer.base.org/  */