Re: RFC: OP cheating

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, forcer wrote:

> A single change would help here, namely the adding of timestamps on nicks,
> and then we could add them on channels etc. as well. Just an idea, though.

Timestamps would solve a lot of problems. Syrk doesn't like it though. I
guess it has something to do with the bandwidth? (Syrk?)

On the other hand... people flooding the entire net with nick changes, is
very tirering as well. Timestamps would also give the users more safety
against serverops and nick collides.

With regard to the stealing of +o which was mentioned earlier. If it was
made possible to issue a mode command like
  MODE #IAmALuser +o Null!robert@xxxxxxxxxxxx
we would have solved that quite easily. Of course, this is something like
the double amount of data transmitted for the average user, but wouldn't
be a problem at all on netheals (since we have ^Go).

-- Null @ irc.dknet.dk

-- Robert Martin-Legène (RM59), Network Manager, DKnet (AS2109), Denmark

   main(){int a[2],b[2];pipe(a);pipe(b);if(fork()){dup2(a[0],0);dup2(b[1],1)
   ;}else{dup2(b[0],0);dup2(a[1],1);write(1,"R",1);}execlp("cat","cat",0);}