Re: channel name messed up

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Jie Gao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have experieced a problem using Microsoft Chat to access the server
> (ircd 2.9.4) I have built here on a DEC alphastation 255/300 (DU4.0).
>
> When MC creates a new channel, say #test9, the window status bar shows:
>
> Now chatting in room #test9 o on wdalpha...
>                            ==
>
> Note that the underlined characters seemed to come from nowhere, and MC
> henceforth would neither talk to the channel, nor have itself talked
> to:  there is simply no reponse at all.
>
> MC works well with channels that have been already established by
> others, and it also works well when used to create a new channel on
> another site (irc-phx.primenet.com).
>
> Now I wonder what could it be that I had done wrong with the server?
> I had no problem compiling it.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>

> Jie

I experienced the same problems with BitchX (versions 73 and 74p2) for
Linux (Kernel 2.0.33 run on an Intel Pentium) both for servers of IRCnet
and on a 2.9.4 server that I built on my machine. However, this problems
seems not to exist for the Windows client mIRC, at least with mIRC I
never had problems on IRCnet servers. I had no time to look thru the code
yet, so if anyone knows what to do please tell me :)

Thanks for your help,

--Florian