channel name messed up

Hi,

I have experieced a problem using Microsoft Chat to access the server
(ircd 2.9.4) I have built here on a DEC alphastation 255/300 (DU4.0).

When MC creates a new channel, say #test9, the window status bar shows:

Now chatting in room #test9 o on wdalpha...
                           ==

Note that the underlined characters seemed to come from nowhere, and MC
henceforth would neither talk to the channel, nor have itself talked
to:  there is simply no reponse at all.

MC works well with channels that have been already established by
others, and it also works well when used to create a new channel on
another site (irc-phx.primenet.com).

Now I wonder what could it be that I had done wrong with the server?
I had no problem compiling it.

Any help is appreciated.

Jie