Re: Need help to use Bounce Line for IRC server

On Nov 06, Yeung Chee Wai wrote:
| I have a question regarding      irc2.9.3/4  bouncing facilities. I sertup
| a bounce line as:
|
| B:*::other.server.com:6667:
|
| And the other.server.com is accepting connections from clients everywhere.
|
| However, when I tried to try out the bounce I got:
|
| 005 this.server.com Try server other.server.com, port 6667
| *** Error: Closing Link: yeungc[unknown@xxxxxxx] (Unauthorized connection
| +)
|
| Where A.B.C.D is the IP of other.server.com and yeungc is the user who tried to
| use the IRC client  (from irc2.9.4) to connect to this.server.com.

This is the normal and expected behaviour (you tried to
connect from other.server.com)

| I am not sure what I am missing in the setup, but I need the bounce
| functionality since I am moving the IRC server to a new host and want to
| prevent users from attempting to join/connect to the old host and fail. So
| I am trying to setup a bounce from the old host to the new one.

What you are missing, is what a Bounce line is.  Reading the
doc, I understand it can be confusing: "This provides you a
way to bounce clients to another server. This information is
provided to clients which are denied connection, either
because their connection class is full, or the server is
full, or they are not authorized to connect."

The B lines only provide information to the clients, they
don't do more, because that would mean acting as a TCP
relay.  It is up to the client coders to use the information
in some automatic way, or to the client user to read it and
follow the instruction.

Christophe