Re: ircd questions...

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Albert D. Ching wrote:

>    I have some questions regarding ircd2.9.3. It was installed and running
> already, but I can't telnet into port 6667. I have to wait for a full
> minutes for the following error messages would come out:
[...]
>    I tried using an irc client and I was able to access the irc server.
> For example: irc <nickname> localhost, which leads me to my next question:

When you connect to an IRC server you must follow the protocol specified
by RFC 1459. An IRC client automatically does this for you. If you insist
on using telnet you'll have to start with

NICK yournick
USER yourlogin 0 0 :your realname

And remember to answer the PING requests for the server. Oh, and don't
expect the output to look neat or the CTCP requests to be understandable.

> How to I create new channels. I was able to log in to the irc server, but
> I am the only user, and there were no channels to join.

When a user joins a non-existing channel it is automatically created.