ircd questions...

Hello guys!

   I have some questions regarding ircd2.9.3. It was installed and running
already, but I can't telnet into port 6667. I have to wait for a full
minutes for the following error messages would come out:

	Your client may not be compatible with this server.
	Compatible clients are available at ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/
irc/clients
	ERROR :Closing link:	(Ping timeout)
	Connection closed by foreign host

   I tried using an irc client and I was able to access the irc server.
For example: irc <nickname> localhost, which leads me to my next question:
How to I create new channels. I was able to log in to the irc server, but
I am the only user, and there were no channels to join.

   I'd appreciate any help/tips/comments from you guys! TIA.

c oo
|  \   Albert Ching <adc@xxxxxxxxx>	+63 2 750-2288
  -    Technical Support		IPhil Communications, Makati City