ircd config-code.

[fusion@xxxxxxxxxxx]

| : I restarted irc.stealth.net but it seems that digital black holed
| : its traffic again, so it's not much of a test besides saying "it
| : stays up and connected to the net" (almost without clients)
|
| Good. An update from pvv. Just after it's 13th hour up after we
| started HUP'ing in on a regular basis, it died on the next. What had
| changed?  A K-line added to the config only minutes before.
|
| Tetative conclusion of the obvious, the bit that reads the config
| sucks to no end. Any chance of seeing it rewritten?

as mentioned before the chkconf dumps core when checking the
configuration file, and if (roughly) the same code is used to load the
configuration into the server it's about time to rewrite it.
segfault while reading the configuration is really a bad omen.  the
best thing would be for the server to skip the affected line (IF there
is a syntax error in it) and continue loading the rest of the lines.

this could cause problems where one line is dependant on another (like
if you miss a connection class earlier on and then stumble across an
I-line using that class),  but that can be resolved the same way:
with an error-message.

I have thought a bit about making a configuration manager for ircd for
some time (and I have a few exciting ideas for managing clusters of
irc-servers (like *.no) from a single point) but I have limited time
to implement things.

mainly I have thought about this because the configuration file might
not be very obvious when you haven't had to edit subtle nuances for a
while.

-Bjørn