Re: ircd with Sparc Ultra and Solaris

| > you say "small network" which makes me think there shouldn't
| > be any memory/cpu/load related problem.
|
| The irc network has 5 Servers and 20-70 users.

definitely not much

| > when you edited the config.h file, did you change any of the
| > defaults?  which ones?
| > (in particular, check how HUB is defined)
|
| OK... I enabled NOTE, defined NO_DEFAULT_INVISIBLE, some operator
| privileges, CRYPT_OPER_PASSWORD and defined DELAYCHASETIMELIMIT 10.
| Nothing critical IMHO. HUB is defined to 0.

I don't see anything bad in this.

| > connects usually take some time while DNS and ident lookups
| > are performed.  how long do they take for you?
|
| No noticeable delays for DNS lookups. I remember that the server locked
| up periodically during connection attempts when the name servers of a
| irc server I was linking to died, but this has been a long time ago.

could be ident lookups,
there's a delay up to 30 seconds I believe.

when the ircd connects to the user's host on the ident port,
if that host doesn't reply (connection established or
refused) then ircd will wait 30 seconds for an answer before
giving up.

This could happen if there's a filter or firewall in the way
which silently drops the connections requests to the ident
port

but that doesn't explain the ping timeouts