How to get more connections?

I haven't totally figured out this IRC server stuff yet so please bear
with me.  I am running 2.9.2 on Linux 2.0.24 and it seems I can only get
22 users connected simultaneoulsy.  I don't at this point have any desire
to be connected to any other servers or IRC nets, unless it is a requirement
to meet my goal here.  My initial intention was to just run a stand alone
server than will allow aroung 50+ user connections.  The most I can get is
22.

MAXCONNECTIONS in config.h is set to 30 and I have tried bumping up
values in the next to the last field in the Y lines and it seems to make
no difference.  I remember reading somewhere in the docs that if I
removed the Y lines from the config file that the settings in config.h
would be used.  However when I removed the Y lines, the server ran, but
it would accept no connections.

I don't understand the remarks in config.h comparing the MAXCONNECTIONS with
maximum file descriptors either.  How do I find out what the maximum open
fd's are for the ircd software or OS.  Is this a ircd specific issue or
a OS/kernel specific issue?

Also when remarks in the conf file refer to "client"  is it talking about
clients like MIRC, VIRC etc... or other IRC servers considered to be
clients because they are connecting to my server?

Confused...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adv*Thanks*ance

-Darrin