Re: SSL patch for 2.11 ircd

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:14:19PM +0100, Volker Paulsen wrote:
> > I'd like to announce the first public release of the SSL patch
> > for the 2.11.1p1 IRCnet ircd. Please test it and report errors.
> Why don't you just incooporate it into the IRCnet ircd
> release, e.g. in 2.11.2.

a) it is not tested (and should be very heavily, especially s2s)
b) it was not planned for .2 (fiction popped it out of blue)
c) SSL is not priority for .2
d) it is missing TLS, which I way prefer over SSL
e) it is not clean yet (some remnants of old code, adding Y:line fields
   without prior consulting (and thus breaking planned patricia), etc.

I might add it to contrib/, though.

> This would lead to a homogenous network!

We have a homogenous network. Am I missing something?

Besides, clients would very rarely use it (what's the point, if end to end
is not secure (and on IRC probably will never be)), opers maybe would use
it, admins probably won't use it, worrying about CPU usage on s2s links...

Unless you want me to force s2s links to be over SSL between next
versions, but...

p.

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his
heart he dreams himself your master.   -- Commissioner Pravin Lal