From: Grega [mailto:grega@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 15 March 2004 16:38
To: Oliver Marshall
Cc: ircd-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Oper or not to Oper

> I have setup an O line on my server and I can issue the /oper command
> at any irc client and it says that I am an Operator of the server, but
> when I perform an operator command, it cheerfully reports I'm NOT an
> operator.

You are an IRC Operator. The error message (numeric 481) "Permission Denied- You're not an IRC operator" is a bit wrong and misleading.
It just means "permission denied", as it can happen also if you are an IRC Operator if the ircd has certain things disabled for you.
Settings can be made avaliable just to global operators too for example.

> Any ideas why that might be ?

Check config.h and recompile the IRC daemon.
Guess it's a lack of #define OPER_KILL or such.
It may also be that you are a local operator. (With 2.10 ircd you need to #define OPER_REMOTE or else you will probably end up being a local operator also if you have a big O:line).

Greetings,
fiction