Re: I have problems in connecting to an irc-server.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 09:30:05PM +0200, Torsten Lang wrote:
> And sometimes it just says this:
>
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
> NOTICE AUTH :*** No ident response
> PING :1163268885
>
> And nothing happens after that. I just get disconnected with a Ping timeout.

The problem is that the server sends a (broken) PING request and
expects you to send a PONG reply.  It won't let you connect until
you send a proper PONG message.

The PING message looks like this:
PING <source> [<dest>]

And PONG:
PONG <source> [<dest>]

If you look at the "1163268885" as the name of the server which
send you the PING request, you should send back a PONG message to
that "server".

The proper way to reply is to send:
PONG yournick 1163268885

The server will actually not care for the nick you send, but I
suggest you do send your nick.

The 1163268885 is just a random string they send to prevent IP
spoofing.  If you send back the same string, they know you're not
spoofing the IP address.

I hope this helps.

Kurt