Re: I have problems in connecting to an irc-server.

Dear diary, on Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 09:30:05PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Torsten Lang <TLang@xxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> Hello,

Hello,

> I never get an ident response.
> Even if I can connect to the server i don't get it as you can see here:
>
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname, cached
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
> PING :1700376905
> test.uk.quakenet.org 001 testname :Welcome to the Internet Relay Network testname
>
> After that its connecting to the IRC server.
>
> And sometimes it just says this:
>
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
> NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
> NOTICE AUTH :*** No ident response
> PING :1163268885

The thing is that you need to reply with PONG to each PING you receive, as you
doubtlessly know (see description of PING in ie. RFC1459). Thus, if you will
receive

PING :1700376905

you must reply with

PONG :1700376905

and the registration will proceed.

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
<Beeth> Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
<honx> Well, you can still get one from a strange country :-P
.