Re: iauth timeout

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:50:07PM -0700, Stephen Biggs wrote:
> I am trying to run an IRCD server on a local network to test some
> software.
>
> I downloaded and compiled (make install) irc2.10.3p2 using all
> default values except for DEBUGMODE defined because of this
> problem.
>
> I am not running any sort of auth/identd server so I would like to be
> able to connect to the server without any timeout.
>
> However, no matter what I do, the server takes a full 30 seconds to
> connect back to the client on initial connect; then everything is ok.

I'm a little confused by the "connect back".  I assume the
connection just hangs for about 30 seconds, and then you get on?

Did you consider this might not be a ident problem, but the
resolver?  It also has a timeout.

Do you resolv when you get online?  Did you check your
/etc/resolv.conf?  Ircd needs a working nameserver.

> ... something else is weird because if I run ircd from the command
> line:
> /usr/local/sbin/ircd -t -x 3 -q
> ... and then I hit ^C to kill it, it tries to restart but then I get:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/ircd: error: unable to find "/usr/local/sbin/iauth"
>
> ... but of course it is there.

That's a weird one, I'll see if I can reproduce that.

> Also, no logs are generated except for the stdout to the console.

Well, you used -t, which makes the debug log to go stdout.
ircd.log should be created in /usr/local/var/log.

Other log files are only written to when they exist.  You have to
create them before it attempts to write to it.

Kurt