iauth timeout

I am trying to run an IRCD server on a local network to test some
software.

I downloaded and compiled (make install) irc2.10.3p2 using all
default values except for DEBUGMODE defined because of this
problem.

I am not running any sort of auth/identd server so I would like to be
able to connect to the server without any timeout.

However, no matter what I do, the server takes a full 30 seconds to
connect back to the client on initial connect; then everything is ok.

In my iauth.conf file I have everything commented out except for
timeout = 2
... and
module rfc931
	timeout = 2

... something else is weird because if I run ircd from the command
line:
/usr/local/sbin/ircd -t -x 3 -q
... and then I hit ^C to kill it, it tries to restart but then I get:

/usr/local/sbin/ircd: error: unable to find "/usr/local/sbin/iauth"

... but of course it is there.

Also, no logs are generated except for the stdout to the console.

Permission problems?

Any help would be appreciated.