Re: problems with syslog

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2001-07-09 at 08:21 +0200, Piotr Swiecicki wrote:
> >
> > So ircd logs should be written to both files: /var/log/daemon.log and
> > /var/log/all I suppose.
>
> No.  Whilst some implementations might support it, typically * is not
> valid for a level, only a facility.
>
> Try daemon.info and *.info instead (or .debug if you really want
> everything) and HUP syslogd.

I've added such entries:
*.info                                                  /var/log/info
*.debug                                                 /var/log/debug

and after restarting syslogd and ircd, ircd still dosn't log anything to
these files. I didn't think it was important and I didn't mention it
earlier, but I've got in my /etc/syslog.conf file an entry:
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none                          /var/log/messages
and in this file there were never any logs from ircd.

I really believe that the problems are caused by ircd - syslog in my
system works correctly and I've never any problems with it. I've installed
ircd on a few RedHat systems, 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1 and none of them logged its
activity to the syslog daemon.