Re: starting ircd from inetd

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 02:21:10PM -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> But I have a big problem: when I started inetd (kill -HUP PID[inetd]), the
> syslogd give me this message:
>
> Feb 26    10:57:09    my-host    inetd[158]:    /usr/local/sbin/ircd:
> exit status -1

It should not be started when you send a -HUP signal, it should
start when you try to connect the first time.

exit status -1 means there is some problem with the configuration.
Either it can't find the config file, or there is a problem with
it.

It only seems to work here if I add a P-line for an other port
than the one listed in /etc/services.  I'll look into it, and let
you know.

> Other question: how do I have to create the "irc" user (home directory,
> shell, group, password, etc.) ???

It's not that important.  It just needs to be able to read the
config file, and maybe write log files.  Maybe you want to login,
maybe you don't.  Set up the shell and passwd as you see fit.

Kurt