starting ircd from inetd

Hello,

I edited a line in the /etc/inetd.conf file corresponding to the ircd
service.
This line is:

irc stream tcp wait irc /usr/sbin/ircd ircd -i

(The first irc is the service in /etc/service and the second irc is the user
I created)

But I have a big problem: when I started inetd (kill -HUP PID[inetd]), the
syslogd give me this message:

Feb 26    10:57:09    my-host    inetd[158]:    /usr/local/sbin/ircd:
exit status -1

So, I have a problem in starting the ircd from the inetd. The ircd does not
start...
Where can be the problem ???
Other question: how do I have to create the "irc" user (home directory,
shell, group, password, etc.) ???

Thank you !!!

Alejandro Cabrera Obed
http://www.sisdis.gov.ar