ircd server problem

Hi
      I am setting up and ircd server on my local machine for the use by
our local network, but I have a problem. I install ircd using the RPM for
it ( I am using RedHat 6.2 Linux)..When I start ircd it says nothing and
what I feel is it also does nothing beacuse the ircd daemon doesn't show up
in "ps aux".
When I try sonnecting to the irc server from some machine I get an error "
Connection Refused:". Yes I checked the ircd.conf and the lines which could
have resulted in this error are perfectly alright, so what I guess is there
is some problem with my IRCD Configuration.
Any help would be of great use.
TIA

Thanks & Regards
Subodh