Re: topiclen fix

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:24:27PM +0100, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> I want to suggest we increas the topiclen from 80 to 160 characters.
> I checked with older clients and there doesn't seem to be a problem with
> this. Not even remote. So when we go to 2.11 we should go with TOPICLEN 160?

No, there are no client problems.
But... why?

Why 160, why not 420? or something else?

In the actual implementation with topiclen of 160 characters this
would be a memory increase of 2.4MB, assumed 30.000 channels.

Crazy memory wasting - *count* ... at the moment, there are only
1/3 of all channels with topic.

And - if larger topics ... why not dynamically allocated?
Yes, I know - memory fragmentation ... bla. One could assign
some pool or something like that.

But... i can't see the need of larger topics anyhow :)

regards,
   Mario, BitKoenig
--
Oh Du mein Koenig ... Eine Netzgroesse schrieb mal sinngemaess:
Du musst es so lesen wie ich es meine, nicht so wie ich es schreibe.
Ich meine es natuerlich so, wie Du es schreibst 8--)
                                    O.G. Schwenk - de.comm.chatsystems